#FreestyleCrochetProject: Granny Square Shrug


Update: Above Picture Added

While scouring the web for free patterns, I realized that a lot of sites use the same basis for creating a shrug:
  • Crochet a rectangle or square
  • Fold it in half
  • Sew the left and right sides from the bottom, up to about halfway, allowing the unsewn parts to act as armholes. 
  • Weave in ends.
Here is a diagram to better explain what I mean:

After I realized how simple it is to make a shrug, I decided to freestyle a granny square, then use the basic steps above to create a granny square shrug. If you want an idea of how to make the granny square I made, see this motif pattern for an understanding (note: the linked pattern is for a small square, but I kept creating rounds according to the system established in the pattern). 

So, here is the finished granny square, folded in half, with the seams sewn as demonstrated in the diagram above. 

As you can see, I added blue border to the armholes, and around the bottom of one of the folded halves. Once the shrug is worn, that bottom border acts as the border of the neckline. Here is a picture of the shrug folded as it would be worn, to help you better understand what I mean. 

Once I get the perfect maxi dress to wear this with, I will update. 



No comments: